Tuesday, February 11, 2014

On My 31st Day in Manhattan

February 11, 2014

On My 31st Day in Manhattan

On my 31st day in Manhattan, Bastille’s “Pompeii” pumps through my ear buds as the routine of a month settles in.

Let that sink in for a minute: a month. I’ve been here for a month. Some days, it feels like I’ve been here for years.

…Maybe my spirit has… Is that too ethereal? 


Walk to the Trader Joe’s, as I’ve done every Tuesday morning (well, the last three Tuesday mornings).

My right hand in my pocket; I open the door with my left hand. To me, that’s natural; to others, that’s unusual. The man behind me chuckles.

“I see you’re left-handed,” he says.
“Yeah, I am,” I laugh, caught off guard – people don’t usually notice… Or if they do, they don’t mention it.
“It wasn’t hard to miss that one!”

I guess not, I think.

Bastille continues to guide me through the aisles…


On my walk home, I discover a Panera. It’s only a block away from my building! That’ll be my downfall (but I’m totally going to spend a day in there writing this weekend!)…


A few hours later, Bastille walks me to work again.

I’ve gotten pretty good at dodging people on the street, if I do say so myself!

Laughing with coworkers, black tea, chocolate, and a well-loved book about Miss Eyre round out another good night at the theatre…


Walking home, those magnificent city lights strike the night sky.

Tonight, I decide to let the diva Madonna sing me home.

I round the corner at Port Authority.

A Drag Queen Diva; mocha skin, peach lips, sparkling emerald green eye shadow, and long curling nails to match.

            She spits just a few feet in front of me before taking a long drag from a cigarette.

                        I smirk as “Material Girl” plays in my headphones.

                                    How fitting.

Eight blocks down, the Empire State Building glows a bright red; a beacon for St. Valentine… 

No comments:

Post a Comment